Can you Provide a Certificate of Insurance?

Upon request, Collegian Movers can provide a certificate of insurance (COI) for your move. If this is a requirement for your move, you must request it in advance. We need to be notified, at a minimum,  2 days prior to your move date. We need time to request this from our insurance company. It is not an uncommon request that we receive from movers.

This is especially true when moving into an apartment building, or any property with building managers. Most building managers of these types of properties require a COI for any moving company that works on the premises. So, don’t wait, speak with one of our moving consultants for more information about certificates of insurance today.

What is a certificate of insurance (COI)?

A certificate of insurance is a document that provides evidence of insurance coverage. Our insurance company issues these on request. A third party uses the COI to verify that the insured has a valid insurance policy.

The certificate typically contains important information about the insurance policy. In addition, it may require the name of the insured, policy number, coverage type, policy limits, and effective and expiration dates.

A COI is a common request from people who are moving. Movers are asked to provide it to the management company as evidence of insurance.

Why do I need a certificate of insurance?

You may need a certificate of insurance for a variety of reasons, depending on your specific circumstances. Some common reasons why you might need a certificate of insurance include:

  1. Proof of insurance coverage: Third-party verification of insurance coverage evidence is why management companies require a COI.
  2. Contractual obligations: If you are moving into a new building or apartment, they may require you to provide them with a COI. The management company of the building requires this to ensure that you have adequate coverage for any potential liabilities or damages.
  3. Compliance with regulations: Law requires Professional moving companies to carry insurance. A certificate of insurance can be provided to demonstrate compliance with regulations.
  4. Peace of mind: Knowing that you have adequate insurance coverage to protect you can provide you with peace of mind

In summary, a certificate of insurance is a valuable document. It provides proof of insurance coverage, fulfills contractual obligations, complies with regulations, and provides a feeling of security.

How do I request a COI for my upcoming move?

To request a certificate of insurance (COI), you will need to contact your moving company and provide them with the following information:

  1. Your name and contact information: Provide your name, phone number, email address, and any other contact information required by your insurer.
  2. A sample COI: The building you are moving into should provide you with an email with their exact specifications. They need to provide you with the exact name and address they want on the COI.
  3. The purpose of the certificate: The certificate is a security measure that buildings take to hedge against accidents or mishaps that may occur during a move-in or move-out.
  4. Any special requirements: If the third party requesting the certificate has specific requirements, such as minimum coverage amounts or additional insured endorsements, make sure to communicate these to your insurance company or broker.

Once you have provided this information to the moving company, they should be able to generate a COI and send it to you or the third party that requested it. It’s important to review the certificate carefully to make sure it accurately reflects your insurance coverage and meets the requirements of the party requesting it.